Wednesday, August 26, 2009

Here's To You, Julia! Bon Appétit!


Hyacinths For The Soul's Week of Roosters continues for Tablescape Thursday with our hostess Susan @Between Naps On The Porch.

Hope you enjoy dinner. The tarts are petite, so go ahead and have seconds!







A Tribute to
Julia Child




Let's celebrate Julia!


I'm not a chef; in fact I rarely even cook these days. My husband is the chef in our home while I get to dedicate my time to the tablescape! True, the first 25 years of our marriage I did the everyday grocery shopping, cooking, and clean up, while my Prince Charming (PC) saved his kitchen talents for weekend dinner parties and invited guests. He's long held a fascination with cuisines of the world. He has a library of cook books and books on the chemistry of food, has followed many of the Food Network cooking shows, attended the occasional cooking school, and was even a student at The French Culinary Institute in NYC in 2001.




Julia Child and Assistant, 
LaVarenne Cooking School at the Greenbrier

In December 1999 when I discovered that Julia Child would be a guest chef at Ann Willan's La Varenne Signature Series @ The Greenbrier in March of 2000, I signed us up. The week at the Greenbrier in Sulphur Springs, WV was one of pure delight! The Greenbrier, a National Historic Landmark, is a 6,500 acre estate nestled in the Allegheny Mountains of West Virginia. The southern charm of this national treasure was the perfect setting for a week of culinary classes and pampering by the staff at the Greenbrier. This national treasure has offered classic southern charm and outstanding amenities since the late 1800s.


Julia Child @ The Greenbrier Resort in 2000

As avid fans of the early PBS series THE FRENCH CHEF and later THE JULIA CHILD and JACQUES PEPIN COOKING @ HOME public television series, Julia Child has long shared her culinary expertise with us. The opportunity to attend a cooking session with Julia Child and actually meet her, was the icing on the cake! Or as Julia might say, "The butter on the bread!"

The class we attended with Julia was entitled "Elegance with Eggs", and it was all about eggs! Julia's joie de vivre was infectious! She did not disappoint!


"Elegance with Eggs"
Hard Boiled Eggs, Eggs a la Tripe, Eggs a la Chimay, 
Poached Eggs, Poached Eggs in Aspic, 
French Omelet, and Cheese Soufflé.



Julia Chid with a group of participants.
I'm on the far right with my PC
Photo used with permission of Greenbrier Photography

The menu is set, and the chef is at work in the kitchen.
So welcome to "A Casual Dinner for Two"
honoring Julia Child.


Le Menu on Courage Brewery Cockerel Menu Stand

Le Coq Quimper Pottery, 
French Faience Roosters, and Sunflowers


Henriot Quimper Le Coq Dinner Plate,
Blue Pinstripe Charger fromNeiman Marcus,
Flatware from Pottery Barn

The table was set with a chicken theme, 
both roosters and a setting hen!



As the saying goes, "The rooster may crow,
but it is the hen that delivers the goods!"

Chef CA Mustard Pot and HB-Henriot Quimper Hen On Nest





A Fresh Baguette, a Basket of Cooking Tools, 
and a Rooster McCoy Planter with Fresh Flowers

Geo Martel Desvres - Cockerel Double Salt

Fresh Bouquet of Sunflowers

Rex-Goliath Pinot Noir

Petite Tarts with Fresh Berries

Birds Eye View of Table 
Ready for Julia's French Omelette Dinner


Omelet Cooking

Julia recommends that the best omelets are made as single servings using only 2 to 3 eggs. Cook the eggs over the highest heat. Once a film of coagulated egg forms begin to jerk the pan roughly toward you. This throws the egg against the pan and forces it to roll over upon itself.


Slide your perfect omelet 
off onto a serving plate.



Top with a bit of chopped parsley and red bell pepper, then add a simple salad of mixed greens, and voilà, you have dinner.



So here's to you, Julia Child!

Bon Appétit!



As a long time loyal fan of Julia Child, it was no surprise that I was one of the throng of adoring Julia Child fans sitting in a theatre the first weekend JULIE and JULIA opened in theaters across the country. I was right there laughing my way through most of the scenes, and appreciating the joy Julia Child brought into our home.


Thank you for allowing me to share some personal memories of Julia Child. I recommend the movie JULIE and JULIA as pure entertainment! Please share a comment below, especially if you have a Julia Child story of your own. Then click here to join Susan @ Between Naps On The Porch for more Tablescape Thursday posts.

To read a delightful post on the movie,
click here to visit Debbie @ Confessions of a Plate Addict.



See you tomorrow for Barb's "Show Us Your Roosters Party".

Click here to see the list of those who are participating. Last count there were 175 joining the party. Now that's a PARTY!



Sarah
Sarah

The summer we married, my husband was in graduate school, and I was employed as a teacher. We took a portion of our savings that summer and purchased a sailboat. We christened our Catalina 22, “Hyacinths For The Soul” after Saadi’s poem. Our "Hyacinths" provided years of pleasure.

38 comments:

  1. Oh my! Lucky you! Julia Child and The Greenbriar too! Be still my heart!

    ReplyDelete
  2. wow....your rooster posts are all amazing. I can't imagine what you will do Friday for Marty's Rooster Party but I can't wait to see.
    I will be at the party too so stop by for a visit. I am having a give-away as part of the fun. xo

    ReplyDelete
  3. The Petite tarts look delish!!! I loved surfing through your sweet blog, I'll be back, your scape and roosters were a delight! xoxo~Kathy~ @ Sweet Up-North Mornings...Stop In!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Uh, could I please have an omelet???? Yum. You certainly have a wonderful memory of time with Julia! Happy TT!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow, what a very special time and what wonderful memories!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I cock-a-doodle-doo love your table and all your precious little roosters. Happy TT to you!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Sarah....what a wonderful post...first the story...then the tablescape then the making of the perfect omelet....just lovely...How wonderful that must have been meeting Julia...it would make Julie Powell jealous!! I loved your salt/pepper rooster....well, I loved it all.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sarah--What a great post! I am so envious of your week at the Greenbrier and class with Julia! I am looking but I seem to be one the few in Blogland who is "rooster deprived" :) Thanks for dropping by!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love the table cloth and napkins, I about to fall asleep I will be back, to look some more, for I saw a post on outdoor Wed too Love all the Julia pictures, and the food great! I want an omelet!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Sarah,
    Your tribute to Julia was every bit as great as I thought it ould be. Lucky you two to have spent time with the Diva herself.
    I can't wait to see what you hve saved for Barb's Rooster Party tomorrow.
    a bientot
    Maggie

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hey - I spied the Courages rooster, flown all the way from Reading UK to Texas ! He seems to have polished his wings en route.....
    Beautiful tablescapes....like Maggie I can't wait for tomorrows rooster party

    ReplyDelete
  12. Loved all your posts! I'm a Julia fan ... my favorite old show was when she screwed up the jelly roll ... it fell apart as she rolled it up ... too much wine, I'm sure!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Absolutely gorgeous and the double salt....
    I am a Julia fan as well.
    Carol

    ReplyDelete
  14. Wonderful French table! And you are so lucky to have attended those lessons with Julia. I've long been eyeing Quimper ware and your post reminds me that I need to get some. It's so pretty! I love that double salt.

    ReplyDelete
  15. So French. It's just perfect. Have you seen the movie? There was an article in our local paper about a man who hosted Julia in his home for a week when she came to Birmingham to do an event.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Sarah!

    What an absolutely fantastic memory you have with one of our cooking greats! Your table is so much fun and lucky for you to have your "own" chef! I had no clue Julia was not French until I saw the movie!

    Blessings Girl!

    ps...thanks so much for stopping by!

    ReplyDelete
  17. What a wonderful tablescape ! And the food looks so yummy.How exciting to have been able to meet Julia.

    ReplyDelete
  18. To have even been in the same room with the delightful Julia must have been a fabulous experience.
    Love the fact that your hubby loves cooking...
    Your table is just stunning. At the top of my MOST WANTED list is a piece or two of Quimper.
    Your menu looks and sounds devine and I will surely give that omlet a try (we usually have a fight and the omlet wins).
    Thanks for your recommendation of the movie...I can't wait to see it...Meryl Streep is my HERO..
    See ya at the Rooster party tomorrow...cluck cluck

    ReplyDelete
  19. Hi Sarah, what a beautiful post.....oh, I am just drooling. You have a way, sweet friend, with all your pictures. I love everything!!!!!

    Thank you for your thoughtfulness.

    Hugs, Barb :-)

    ReplyDelete
  20. Love the animated rooster...LOL! And your rooster plate with the striped charger is so cute and perfect for your party too!

    Great looking omelette!

    ReplyDelete
  21. That must have been a dream come true for you and your husband to share! How wonderful!
    Beautiful table!
    Beautiful dishes!
    Beautiful roosters!
    Beautiful menu!
    Thanks for sharing everything!
    I'm going to look for that wine this weekend! And I'll toast Julia!
    And I love omelets but NEVER have I been able to master even one! You've inspired me though, I may give it another whirl this weekend too.
    All the best,
    Eileen

    ReplyDelete
  22. Wonderful post, Sarah! Absolutely beautiful!!

    ReplyDelete
  23. I think Julia was very entertaining as well as a good chef!

    bon Appetite everyone! (in my julia child voice!)

    ReplyDelete
  24. Cute cute--love the plates and utensils and tablecloth. My hubby and I loved the movie, but we had to go out to eat right after because it made us sooooooo hungry ;-)

    (I posted my tablescape on my spindle cottage blog--but I do have other blogs...that blog is going to be mostly for house type pics)

    ReplyDelete
  25. What a lovely tribute! How lucky to have had the opportunity to meet Julia and learn from her. I always admire a man who knows his way around the kitchen...my husband also enjoys cooking and finds it creative and relaxing on the weekends. Your blog is just delightful...I will be back to read more.

    ReplyDelete
  26. Yep, Julia Child was truly the real deal! I LOVE your dishes! Was especially taken with the bottom plate, as I love stripes. It is all so elegant with your roosters and extra attention to detail. Wish I had someone who would cook for me. I'm fairly skilled at scrambled eggs, however! So I won't starve.
    Brenda

    ReplyDelete
  27. Oh what fun you had. love the double salt. love your tribute!! beautiful food for a beautiful soul. Blessings!

    ReplyDelete
  28. Sarah! I really like your dishes. The striped chargers are so cool and the rooster plate on them is perfect! Your really have some fun rooster pieces. Love this post!

    ReplyDelete
  29. Hi Sarah; I so enjoyed your post on Julia, I love her too,,, how exciting for you both to be able to have met her.. I just love your table setting, and the menu. thank you for sharing..

    Hugs;
    Alaura

    ReplyDelete
  30. Nice post, very interesting about Julia Childs.
    Great tablescaping and a wonderful collection of roosters and hens!

    I just posted my roosters!

    Katherine

    ReplyDelete
  31. Oh, your rooster collection is divine! And all that delicious looking food! Can I come over for a bite? :)
    BE a sweetie,
    Shelia ;)

    ReplyDelete
  32. Roosters and Julia and what a menu -- I am very impressed! The food looks as fantastic as the table setting!

    ReplyDelete
  33. Everything on your table is fabulous. What a wonderful tribute to a wonderful lady who inspired so many of us. Bon Apetit!

    Christi

    ReplyDelete
  34. What a wonderful post! Everything on your table looks luscious! How fortunate for you to have that experience with Julia C. She was an amazing woman. Thank you for sharing some of your experiences with us...

    Jane (Artfully Graced)

    ReplyDelete
  35. How interesting to read about your experiences! Isn't wonderful to have a hubby that cooks? I am fortunate that mine does too but it is nothing as fancy as something from Julia C. I'm sure he likes it that you can set such a beautiful table to go with the meal he prepares. Terrific!

    DD

    ReplyDelete
  36. OmGosh! Another excellent post! I do love your Quimper and that double salt is spectacular. The table setting is gorgeous, and I think I'm going to be camping out at your blog! laurie

    ReplyDelete
  37. I love Quimper dishes. It is something I do not collect but I have always loved them. Great collection.

    How wonderful to have attended a cooking class with Julia!!!

    ReplyDelete
  38. How lucky you are to have been able to spend time with this special lady!'
    Your table looks gorgeous Sarah!
    I would love to know how to make an omelet without breaking or ripping it. I am the worst.

    (They always make it look so easy to make on tv!)

    Thanks for sharing your pretty French tablescape with us! Drool-worthy for sure!

    xx
    A

    ReplyDelete

Thank you to each of you who take the time to leave a comment. I read and appreciate each and every one and will respond to any questions. Your notes are the only way I know who has stopped in for a visit.