Tuesday, September 17, 2024

Tea on Tuesdays ~ Teatime Simplicity


        "Breaking free from the grips of a lingering summer,
and gaining freedom to embrace an anxious autumn,
requires a September."   ~ Butch Richardson         

September is finally here, fortunately the Texas temperatures have cooled a bit, and I'm home after recent travels the past few months.  It feels good to settle back into a routine, and to join Pam and Mary for their monthly Tea on Tuesdays.

I'm always thrilled to join my friends, Pam and Mary, 
and we welcome you to September's edition of Tea on Tuesdays.
Thank you, Pam and Mary for your kind invite, and
thank you, Butch, for letting me quote you!

I don't exactly get up with the chickens, 
but I do love mornings.

We have a small sitting area off our galley kitchen.  
It's the perfect spot for morning coffee or tea.

I enjoy the morning light streaming in.
It makes for a time of quite reflection and time
to gear myself up for what's on the day's agenda.

I'm a coffee drinker most mornings, but I also enjoy a cup of 
hot tea, especially when I can feel the seasons changing.

Do you start your day with quiet time over morning coffee or tea?

I fill one of my teapots with steaming water
to brew an individual cup at a time.
My vintage teapot was a thrifty find some years ago.  
 It was made by McCoy Pottery in the 1940s. 
McCoy art pottery was made in Roseville, Ohio beginning in 1910.

 I was drawn to the cream colored glaze with the pretty green ivy pattern and the detailed handle made to mimic a rough ivy branch. 
 My research found a cream and sugar were also produced in Ivy.

My cup and saucer are Wedgwood Etruria's Napoleon Ivy pattern.
It was first made around 1800 and was the pattern used by 
Napoleon during his exile on St. Helena in 1815.  Thus the name.


As best I can figure, the mark 
on my pieces date to the 1940s.

Though one is pottery and one fine china, 
I don't hesitate to use them together.  
The charm of the ivy pattern on each is what immediately 
caught my attention and why I added them to our home.

Having a cup of tea is also the perfect excuse to use beautiful 
tea accessories collected over the years. 
This gorgeous antique sterling tea strainer is a find brought
 home from antique shopping in Dallas last spring.

Why not create yourself little rituals of elegance?  

This brass tray is my tea station that resides on the kitchen counter.
I've often shared my individual tea strainer spoons for steeping loose tea directly in a cup of steaming water.  The mini hourglass helps me measure my steeping time.  I prefer to steep my tea longer than recommended to enhance the flavors and increase the caffeine, but one doesn't want to steep so long as to cause a bitter taste. 

The Molly Hatch ceramic tea caddy makes me smile.
Tea Revives You ~ Yes, it does!

Do you know what this beautiful silver cup and straw are?
When my "Chef" and I visited Buenos Aires many years ago, we
returned with this antique maté and bombilla, a souvenir of our stay.
Maté, a traditional caffeine rich herbal tea and national beverage of Argentina, is consumed in a specific vessel of the same name.  
The metal straw, a bombilla, is designed to function as both 
a sieve and a straw, allowing one to enjoy the brewed tea 
while blocking out the plant matter.  

Though I'm not a fan of drinking maté, 
I do treasure this souvenir.  It makes a perfect petite vase.

I have enjoyed Harney & Sons Fine Teas over the years, and
a favorite flavor has always been Hot Cinnamon Sunset,
a black tea with warming spices of cinnamon, cloves, and orange peel.

Recently I've discovered a new favorite flavor, 
Salted Carmel.
Perfect for autumn vibes and a delightful
way to transition into this new season!

If you appreciate attention given to beautiful presentation, 
 Harney & Sons' exquisite silken tea sachets are elegant,
and their lovely tea tins are pretty enough to be repurposed.

What's a cup of tea without a sweet bite?

I spotted this limited edition product at Trader Joe's.
Pumpkin Spice Mini Cupcakes are oh, so, tasty.
Pretty little cakes for the perfect bite 
of pumpkin spice with hot tea. 

Seriously, look at the yummy, creamy
cream cheese icing with ribbons of caramel.

Even though a serving is considered to be 3 cupcakes, 
I only allowed myself 2 and plated them on my new
Arte Italica pewter pedestal with ivy sprigs from the garden.  

Remember, even if one is enjoying tea for oneself, 
make it special and use your pretty things. 

Speaking of rituals of elegance, don't forget to bring 
fresh flowers into your home and perhaps light a scented candle.  

Yes, simple elegance is the 
perfect way to start a morning.

Treat yourself.  You deserve it!

Originally when asked to join Tea on Tuesdays for September, 
I envisioned tea out in my garden as I did last October.
Sadly, between the excessive heat, lack of rain, and my travels, 
the garden is in need of attention, so I'm focused on bringing it back.
 You can visit Tea on Tuesdays, October 2023here.  

Mary and Pam's beautiful posts are linked below.  Enjoy!

Mary @ Home Is Where The Boat Is




Also Joining






Sarah
Sarah

The summer we married, my husband was in graduate school, and I was employed as a teacher. We took a portion of our savings that summer and purchased a sailboat. We christened our Catalina 22, “Hyacinths For The Soul” after Saadi’s poem. Our "Hyacinths" provided years of pleasure.

12 comments:

  1. Good Morning Sarah, Your tea accessories are exquisite and I have tea strainer envy…what a beauty! 🌻 I adore all your ‘pretties’…your beautiful box with bouquet, maté and bombilla, Napoleon Ivy pattern and vintage McCoy ivy teapot. Harney & Sons Hot Cinnamon Spice is a favorite tea (also marketed as Hot Cinnamon Sunset). Those Pumpkin Spice Mini Cupcakes are the perfect size and are oh so tempting! I wish I had a Trader Joe’s closer to me, the nearest one is an hour away. Thank you so much for joining us today. I always look forward to teatime or sharing blooms with you. Wishing you a wonderful week ahead. 🍂☕️🍁 🧡

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good morning Sarah ☕️ I love the vintage McCoy teapot and the mix of pottery and the fine china Napoleon Ivy cup and saucer. Your collections of beautiful pieces are amazing. I enjoy finding unique pieces while traveling. I have fond remembrances of a trip to Buenos Aires and coming home with a few treasured souvenirs. The antique mate and bombilla are exquisite. Your tea station in the kitchen is charming and I love the photos of your beloved Chef! Sarah, I start my day with a cup of coffee and quiet time every morning. A pumpkin spice mini cupcake would be perfect with my coffee.

    It is always a pleasure to have you join Mary and me for tea. Wishing you a joy-filled day!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sarah, I enjoyed seeing some of your beautiful tea accessories collected over the years.
    Especially the gorgeous antique sterling tea strainer. Wishing you a wonderful Autumn!

    P.S. I love Pam's cute fungi teapot and Mary's view :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sarah, what a beautiful way to start your day, with your curated collection of teatime smalls and scrumptious tea and treat choices! I love all the sweet photos of Monnie surrounding you. We have sold bombillas in the past, but your treasure from Buenos Aires is special. I love the tea strainers found in Dallas as well.
    Creature comforts at their best! Happy Tuesday.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Good morning, Sarah! You have set a most beautiful tea, and those cupcakes look delicious! Every time I visit, I find myself swooning over all of your pretties. I also always enjoy reading about the treasures you have found on your travels. Your floral arrangement is gorgeous and the vase is stunning! Wishing you a most blessed day, sweet friend! Shannon@Belle Bleu Interiors

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your vignettes full of eye candy are always a delight Sarah! The sitting area off your kitchen is the perfect place to enjoy a cuppa. I love the colorful flowers in that stunning black vase, and your ivy teapot and cup and saucer are so pretty. You have so many tea treasures, and how nice to display them and bring back memories to enjoy as you linger. Those mini cupcakes have my mouth watering! The Salted Caramel tea sounds really good too~
    Jenna

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sarah, such a delightful tea. Love your Napoleon Ivy pattern and vintage McCoy ivy teapot, so very pretty. Photos of your chef are so precious. Your tea strainers are so lovely and I am sure bring you smiles. I enjoy coffee in the morning too. Tea time in the afternoon on an autumn day is a favorite. TJ always has yummy treats. Happy Tuesday.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love seeing your chef's photos here and there..It is said we look a bit like our partners after a long lovely marriage:) I find you do:)Love seeing your treasures and I spied..:)I have a humble mate set..Wood vessel stainless straw with turquoise bead.I can't said I eneded up developing a taste for it:(:):):):)..Love Harney's tins..are you surprised? :):):)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not surprised at all! You and I like to repurpose little things rather than tossing in the trash. Happy you spied the precious Bonne Maman painting. It's permanent spot to great me each time I pass by, which is all day long. One of many treasures you've gifted me over the years! Would love to see your maté set.

      Delete
  9. Sarah, your beautiful tea table off your kitchen is the perfect spot for morning quiet time and tea. I adore the gorgeous flowers in the pretty tea tin and your lovely china and delicious looking cupcakes from Trader Joes. I enjoy the morning light streaming in also.Your sterling tea strainers are beautiful. It was interesting to learn about mate and bombillas. Hearing about your travels is delightful. Your ivy cup and teapot are exquisite and trailing ivy on your cake stand was a sweet and artistic touch.
    Yesterday, in a club I am a part of the program was Show and Tell about a cherished item or a unique item. You would have so many lovely items to captivate people. It was a popular program and people stayed almost an hour later than our usual meetings.
    So many lovely details in your post. Bonnie

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a lovely tea time you have set. I enjoyed seeing all your beautiful details and the delicious tea and treats. Your flowers and vase are breathtaking. And your McCoy Teapot is gorgeous. I have quite a few pieces of McCoy.
    Is that your darling Chef, I see? I am a new visitor to you but have been a guest on Tea on Tuesday, so I was delighted to visit you today. You have such lovely treasures to look at! Thank you!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you to each of you who take the time to leave a comment. I read and appreciate each and every one and will respond to any questions. Your notes are the only way I know who has stopped in for a visit.