Sunday, June 13, 2010

National Flag Day ~ June 14th


National Flag Day ~ June 14th

Although many states had designated a special day to honor the US flag each year, it wasn't until 1949 that President Truman signed an Act of Congress designating June 14th of each year as National Flag Day.


Here at HFTS the US flag and other patriotic symbols of our country are front and center during the summer months. Affectionately known as Old Glory, the Stars & Stripes, or the Star Spangled Banner, the American flag is a Grand Old Flag.



Long an enthusiast of Americana, I was thrilled to have the opportunity to attend the special exhibit, STRIPES and STARS, A GRAPHIC HISTORY OF AN AMERICAN ICON. The AIGA National Design Center hosted the STRIPES and STARS exhibit, at their 5th Avenue center in NYC the summer of 2000. The exhibit was an amazing collection of US flag related items assembled by Kit Hinrichs of California. The large poster lower right in the above mosaic is from the exhibit. I had it framed, and it is now part of my American collection.


The exhibit, a mere sampling of Mr. Hinrichs collection of flag memorabilia was so well received that Mr. Hinrichs decided to publish LONG MAY SHE WAVE. This large, beautiful book documents the complete collection of over 500 items with incredible color images meticulously photographed by renowned artist, Terry Heffernan. Mr. Hinrichs' collection has been "hailed as a marvel of folk history and a time capsule of cultural commentary." The exhibit catalog notes "Despite legal restrictions adopted by Congress in 1912 and 1934, the exhibition illustrates that popular interpretations of the flag motif have continued to proliferate, resulting in a rich visual history of a true American icon."


UNITED WE STAND, by Peter Gwillim Kreitier, is another wonderful book for those interested in the American flag. In response to Pearl Harbor, to celebrate Independence Day in 1942, every major US magazine featured an image of the American Flag on its cover. This book reproduces more than 100 of those magazine covers that saluted Old Glory across the nation July 1942.


Mary Emmerling's AMERICAN COUNTRY FLAGS is a charming little book of various flags in folk art. The page features beautiful full color images and quotes related to the American flag.


The US flag is often found on United States Postage Stamps. In 2002, perhaps in response to Kit Hinrichs' popular exhibit, the U. S. Post Office issued a set of five Americana stamps featuring flag ephemera. A small booklet that featured other flag folk art images and included twenty of the 37-cent stamps was available from the U. S. Post Office.


In 2000, I purchased this sheet of 33-cent U S postage stamps that commemorate The Stars And Stripes with various images of the U S flag through the years.


I had my sheet of flag stamps specially stamped for the occasion of OpSail 2000, the Parade of Tall Ships on the Hudson River and New York Harbor.


After 9/11 American patriotism was very popular. The American flag was seen being flown at almost every home in many neighborhoods. Flags flew on antenna of cars and trucks, and many wore a small American flag pin on their lapel. The top and bottom photos of the above collage are pins in my collection. The center card is an advertisement from Maximal Art's Vintage Americana Collection. You can find Maximal Art online at www.maximalart.com.


These small individual vintage flags were once used on student desks in a classroom. The silk flags show 48 stars, the flag used between 1912 and 1959. The 48 star flag was the second longest in use.


Its red for love, and its white for law,
And its blue for the hope that our forefathers saw,
Of a larger liberty.
Unknown
Mary Emmerling's AMERICAN COUNTRY FLAGS


The ever entertaining Sue @ Collectin Texas Gal has an informative post on Flag Day in Texas. Stop by and give her a visit. And stop by to wish Sonia @ Miss Bloomers a Happy Birthday today. Sonia was born on Flag Day and is sharing some beautiful images of the American Flag that she photographed while on vacation in Santa Fe.

Flag Day is also my brother's birthday. Happy Birthday, David!

A special thank you to all the hostesses of the following weekly memes:





Sarah
Sarah

The summer we married, my husband was in graduate school, and I was employed as a teacher. We took a portion of our savings that summer and purchased a sailboat. We christened our Catalina 22, “Hyacinths For The Soul” after Saadi’s poem. Our "Hyacinths" provided years of pleasure.

42 comments:

  1. Thank you for sharing this. Happy Monday!

    ReplyDelete
  2. A great post for Blue Monday and Flag Day! I love the flag collection and the pin collection is wonderful. Have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You never fail to amaze me with all your knowledge and collections! I love your Stars & Stripes stamps marked with the parade of ships~

    Visiting is always a treat, to see how you present your special treasures. Happy National Flag Day :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. A nice idea!
    Happy National Falg Day and happy BM and happy MM!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wonderful patriotic post. . .My friend has a birthday today, it's easy to remember since it falls on this holiday!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wonderful post!! So much that I didn't know about Flag Day...thank you for this one. Have a wonderful week.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Sarah...This is a Fantastic FlagDay Post. Thank you for all the wonderful information and pictures. I have given this Post a ShoutOut in CollectInTexas Gals FlagDay Post....Sue

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thank you, Sarah, for reminding me! I KNEW that June 14th is Flag Day, but when I awoke, I went straight to the computer--it being Blue Monday. Now, I'll have my husband put up our flag. Once again, thanks! Happy Blue Monday.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Beautiful post, Sarah! Happy Flag Day!...Christine

    ReplyDelete
  10. Sarah, I loved reading this! You always have such great info for us as well as nice pics! Thanks!

    XO,

    Sheila :-)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Sarah, You just inspired me to go place two flags in my potted geranium on the front porch. We do fly a flag daily, but this is an extra touch. I enjoyed reading about the Stars and Stripes exhibit, and I love that sheet of stamps commemorating the flag over the years. A very well-researched, well-photographed, and interesting post!
    Hugs and blessings, Beth

    ReplyDelete
  12. A beautiful tribute to our beautiful flag. Lots of info I didn't know!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh your mosaics are just fantastic. All the patriotic shots are great. Looks like great collections. Happy Blue Monday.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Sarah,

    What a wonderful post!!! I love all the flags and will definitely have to check out your book recommendations! Thanks for your sweet visit and link for my birthday! Hugs!

    Miss Bloomers

    ReplyDelete
  15. Happy Flag Day. Such wonderful post.
    Happy Blue and MM Sarah.
    Have a great week.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Long may our flag wave and that we can enjoy the freedom of this United States. Great post! Come by and visit when you get the time. Debbie

    ReplyDelete
  17. Hi, Wowww! Great post as always, excellent photos and super mosaics! I hope that you have a lovely week! Stop over at my blog if you have a chance to see my newest grand baby...#7! She was born yesterday. Sofia Breeze.
    Giant hugs to you...
    Bobbi

    ReplyDelete
  18. Happy birthday and Happy Flag Day. I too and strong on our flag. We were cleaning the garage and there was the flag in the corner standing tall. I forgot it was Flag Day but I told my dh please put the flag out. I am so glad I did.

    Your flag post and history is fabulous. I loved reading every word.
    Hugs, Jeanne

    ReplyDelete
  19. Great post!! Love all the information, and the photos are great...filled with red, white and BLUE~ Happy Blue Monday and Flag day!

    ReplyDelete
  20. I'm ashamed of myself! I'm such a patriotic person and still I forgot Flag Day. God Bless America!

    ReplyDelete
  21. A fun post!! Loved all the pictures of the flags. I love the picture of the student flags on the table. That one looks so cool!

    Linnea

    ReplyDelete
  22. So many beautiful flags, and I love your photography. Happy Flag day.

    Karen

    ReplyDelete
  23. What a beautiful and interesting post Sarah. I love your flag. Great mosaics.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Hi Sarah,

    Flag Day is also my sweet little Caroline's birthday!! She turned 6.
    I wanted to do a red/white & blue flag party theme but she & her mother opted for Ariel, the mermaid instead, since it was a pool party. LOL

    Love all your flag memorabilia! (did I spell that correctly, teacher?)

    ReplyDelete
  25. You have piqued my curiousity about Mary Emmerling's flag book. I love her country decorating style. Thanks for the post!

    ReplyDelete
  26. What a wonderful collection you have, Sarah! I bet your students loved seeing it too!
    I made sure no one moved on to the next grade without knowing The Star Spangled Banner! :)

    ReplyDelete
  27. Sarah, that historical exhibit looks like it was fabulous, and I love all of your flag pins. I love to see the American flag blowing in the wind - one of the most stirring things in the world to me! This was a great post.

    I wish I had thought to refer to my bird's porch as a veranda. You are so cute. laurie

    ReplyDelete
  28. I am not American but did enjoy this post. The pictures are just beautiful

    ReplyDelete
  29. Great information and what pretty eye candy. Happy Reds!

    ReplyDelete
  30. What a great post! I had my flag out for Flag Day!

    ReplyDelete
  31. Wow, thanks for the True Colors primer! I'm so happy you stopped by my blog Sarah. Sorry you don't have a swing anymore....the little girl inside always needs a swing...
    Maybe someone could build you a free standing support and you could hang one from there. Who says it has to be on a porch or deck. I've seen folks put em out in side yards..out by ponds and along side creeks....even retirement communities have allow residents to stick em in different places on the grounds (off thier porches if they're lucky enough to have a ground floor walk out room)
    You can always pop over and visit mine when you want. Hopefully the next time you visit it'll look a little different

    ReplyDelete
  32. Great post! I love all Emmerling's books as she really loves Americana style. I need to get some flags!

    ReplyDelete
  33. What a great post!!! love the info and love those ideas, perfect for the 4th. of July.

    ReplyDelete
  34. Great post! I love Americana and wish I could have seen that exhibit!

    Happy Rednesday,
    Sally

    ReplyDelete
  35. Nicely put together post chock full of good stuff. I am proud to fly our flag! Patriotism isn't just for holidays here.

    ReplyDelete
  36. Sarah, what a wonderful post. The historical exhibit looks amazing. I am a big fan of the American Flag...
    Hugs,
    Penny

    ReplyDelete
  37. WONDERFUL post! I love the greatl old USA!

    Hugs,
    Maryjane

    ReplyDelete
  38. Now, this is a fabulous post! I am so proud to be an American. What a great collection! I think I'll have to get out my decorations early!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you to each of you who take the time to leave a comment. I read and appreciate each and every one and will respond to any questions. Your notes are the only way I know who has stopped in for a visit.