Wednesday, June 1, 2022

Tales of the Traveling Tote #31

Rabbit ~ Rabbit
Welcome to Tales of the Traveling Tote #31.

Last year at this same time, I shared a tour of 
City Post in its development stage.
You can read all about the history of this 
building and the restaurant here.

City Post is now open, and Miss Merri Mac and I 
recently met my favorite girls for lunch.

I ordered a lobster roll!

It came in a tasty brioche roll 
with a side of fries.
D E L I C I O U S!

I'm still not in traveling mode, so one of my spring highlights was attending the biennial Kappa Settings tabletop event.  
Miss Mini Merri Mac joined me for this special occasion luncheon that featured a room full of astonishing table settings 
along with guest speaker,  Jenna Bush Hager.

My loyal readers might recall that 
Miss Mini Merri Mac 
and I also attended Kappa Settings in 2020.  
We were guests at a bright, sunny table created by my 
good friend Vickie Roan of The Menagerie in Austin.

This year, I again was invited to sit at a lovely table 
created by my friend Vicki Roan, owner of The Menagerie.  
We sat under an arbor of beautiful greens.

The Menagerie, a full service jeweler is my favorite 
local source for home accessories, tableware, and gifts.
They gift wrap and are happy to ship.

Each spot at the table featured a place setting of a different color in
Richard Ginori Oriente Italiano, a popular pattern for young brides. 
My placesetting was Pervinca, a beautiful blue trimmed in gold.
It was the pattern originally created by Gill Point in 1946 and
was expanded to a collection of 10 colors, 
all represented on this table.

Here it is in pink.

Check out this pattern for each of the color ways.

The centerpiece was a collection of Chinoiserie 
blue and white and an abundance of gorgeous flowers.

Notice this small blue and white filled with flowers. 
Can you believe it's actually a paper vase wrap by Lucy Grymes?
It's difficult to tell this piece isn't one of the ceramics!
Each guest at this table took home a gift box of a 
set of 3 of these Chinoiserie vase wraps.

For added ambiance, Vickie staged a bamboo bar cart off to the side,
complete with my favorite coconut cake from 34th Street Cafe 
and a bottle of my fav champagne, Veuve Clicquot.

A fabulous table in every detail!

Spring in Texas is always filled 
with beautiful wildflowers.

In May Miss Merri Mac and I joined with my garden club
friends for a picnic lunch and visit to Austin's historic Pease Park 
for an update on the recent $15 Million Kingsbury Commons Project.

Pease Park Conservancy Executive Officer, Heath Riddles-Sanchez gave us an enthusiastic overview of what was completed, the ongoing stewardship of the park, and the vision for the future.

Come along and let me show 
you a few of the highlights.

The play equipment keeps 
a natural rustic theme.

What child wouldn't 
be curious to explore here?

The star of the project is the 575 square foot 
unique treehouse built to mimic a seed pod.

Access to the second story is from a 
gradual ramp so that it is accessible to all.

Once up in the Treehouse, one feels a part 
of the treetop canopy of the park.

At night, firefly lighting 
adds to the magic.

Giant chess is available 
between 9:00 a.m. and 5:00 p.m.

Want to join me for a game?

SnoRide's delicious icy sno 
is available on weekends.

The Blue Trees is an environmental 
art installation by Konstantin Dimopoulos.

With a goal to start conversations about climate change,
you can read about it here.

Shoal Creek runs along the east side of the park, 
an interesting spot for these two to explore.
I think some summer adventures in
Pease Park are in their future.

Be sure to visit all the Traveling Tote adventures below.
Debbie with Miss Aurora @ Mountain Breaths 
Emily with Miss Courtney ChildsThe French Hutch
Jenna with Miss Coquille @The Painted Apron
Linda P with Miss Lola @ Life and Linda
 Patti with Miss Kenzie @ Pandora's Box
Rita with Miss Luna C Panoply 
Sarah with Miss Merri Mac @ Hyacinths for the Soul (You are here)


The Traveling Totes will return September 1, 2022
to share our own summer adventures.
Wishing each of you wonderful 
summer adventures of your own. 






Sarah
Sarah

The summer we married, my husband was in graduate school, and I was employed as a teacher. We took a portion of our savings that summer and purchased a sailboat. We christened our Catalina 22, “Hyacinths For The Soul” after Saadi’s poem. Our "Hyacinths" provided years of pleasure.

14 comments:

  1. Sarah, the Kappa Settings looked absolutely heavenly! With our love of dishes, that had to be a most enjoyable time. And with Jenna Bush Hager as speaker - how fun was that?! I love your friend Vicki's taste and style. The Pease Park project sounds extremely well endowed - wow! These are the kinds of travels I so enjoy. It just goes to show one does not need to travel far to have a good time. And family time is always good time spent. Happy June!

    ReplyDelete
  2. oh Sarah, I look so forward to your posts! On my bucket list is to attend a Kappa Settings event ...someday! Your travels are all so enjoyable to read about...thank you for sharing you love of friends, travel and a lovely good time! Loyally your Kappa friend, Alda

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh Sarah, what a great post! What a great event you attended, the settings are breathtaking! I would have loved to have heard Jenna! I love Austin and I miss living there! Have a great day, my friend!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lobster roll for me too please:) Gosh I would recognize your sister anywhere:)Looks like you have been busy and in your element:)Lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sarah, what a joy to be invited to the Kappa Event. I would love seeing each tablescape in person. Beautiful china and gorgeous styling. An added bonus Jenna Bush as a speaker. The Pease Park looks amazing. Once completed it will be spectacular. How fun to see a treehouse and also play a giant game of chess. Meeting with friends is always fun. The lobster roll and fries are calling my name.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh my Sarah, the Kappa Settings event are incredible! All those beautiful tables with elegant china and centerpieces, the vase wraps are amazing! There is nothing more fun than lunch out with friends, City Post sounds wonderful. Pease Park is very special, I love the natural playground, the life size Chess set and treehouse! Even though your travels have been limited, you've been exploring so many great things right in your own backyard! Happy June and Happy Summer!

    ReplyDelete
  7. The kappa Settings event looked beautiful - I have the LG vases and I think you will enjoy them! The table was so inviting! The Peace Park looks lovely and the perfect spot on a hot summer day! You have a lot of special places close to home - lucky you!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. City Post looks like a great place to meet up with friends for a delicious lunch.Sarah, the settings for the Kappa event are amazing. I am positive you were enjoying each and every table with all the details and the garden setting. I am always excited to see blue and white and so many creative ways to present it. Miss Merri Mac looks so pretty sitting among the Texas wildflowers. The garden club picnic looks like fun in the historic park. Looks like a great place to walk and relax with interesting things around you. I'm in for chess for sure and I'm sure the tree house is destination for many. Happy June Sarah.........

    ReplyDelete
  9. Sarah, the Kappa Settings event must have been fabulous. The settings are incredible and I know you thoroughly enjoyed. If that wasn’t enough, to have Jenna as guest speaker was a big treat. City Post’s lobster roll looks perfect. The Pease Park looks amazing with the awesome tree house. You had so many exciting events so close to home. Happy June!

    ReplyDelete
  10. The Kappa Settings event looked fabulous! I love your friend Vicki's wonderful style. The Pease Park project sounds amazing. Love the photo of you and your lovely family at City Post. I would have ordered the lobster roll too. Happy June!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Happy June Sarah! How nice to be able to join your garden club for a picnic lunch (love your MKC booties :) and your tabletop event with Jenna Bush Hager as speaker! What a GORGEOUS setting, I'm green with envy over that beautiful arbor and flower-filled table! Love the floral swags on the chairs too. We're heating up and I just looked at your forecast and saw you'll be in the triple digits. Stay cool. ♥

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh Sarah, you have been getting out and about! I loved the settings at the Kappa event and your garden club sounds like such fun. When you said lobster roll, I was just the slightest bit envious -- I haven't had one in years and they ARE the best! I'm so glad you are able to get out and around. Oh, and that chess set -- very cool!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Sarah, I am sorry I am late. I have had company this week and am so behind.
    I love all your adventures with Miss Mini Merry Mac. I do recall you attending the Kappa Settings last year. It looks fabulous again this year! Beautiful settings. And what a treat to hear Jenna Bush Hager speak. Such a lovely event.
    Your Garden Club event also looks like a great experience. Texas has beautiful wildflowers and Miss Merry Mac looks very pretty among the flowers.
    You have been busy and having fun. Thanks for taking us along. Very enjoyable.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I hated to miss out this quarter, but I truly have nothing to share, LOL! I think the Kappa Settings event is so inspirational. I enjoyed your activities with Miss Merri Mac! :D

    ReplyDelete

Thank you to each of you who take the time to leave a comment. I read and appreciate each and every one and will respond to any questions. Your notes are the only way I know who has stopped in for a visit.