Wednesday, July 22, 2015

J is for Jester




J is for Jester





Jester ~ historically an entertainer; 

 a professional joker or "fool" at a royal court,

typically wearing a cap with bells on it and 

carrying a mock scepter.




André Derain Harlequin


Picasso, Chagall, and Derain are but a few artists

whose paintings of jesters or harlequins delight my senses

while visiting museum exhibits.





Some years ago, I purchased the charts to stitch 

these cute French valentine characters.

Do you see him,

the little boy dressed as a jester?





A whimsical valentine jester spied 

at my friend Susan's home last February.





Cock - a - doodle - do!

A handsome rooster jester has hung on 

our Christmas tree each Christmas

for the past 20 years.




Patience Brewster, Inc. ~ Image Used With Permission


Meet  Josie, Joker of Hearts.

She is one of Patience Brewster's adorable creations.

Want to add her to your Christmas tree?

I do!

Available here.

Don't forget, Patience Brewester

is hosting a Christmas in July

Instagram Contest.  Details at the top of my sidebar.






Character or Toby jugs have

been produced since the 18th century.

The French refer to these as Jacquots.

This is my jester Jacquot made in Desvres.

He's perfect for a bookend, a bouquet,

 or simply a smile!




Never, circa late 1800


In 2003 while shopping the


located just outside of Paris, France,

I happened upon this French faience menu.

It was love at first sight!

I've never seen another piece like this one,

and never once regretted this purchase.




Jaure Japy Dinnerware, Paris


In honor of Alice in Wonderland's 150th birthday,

my friend Judy hosted an Alice themed dinner party

to celebrate my birthday this past January.

Harlequin Plates ~ Don't you love it?





A little harlequin for 

our neighbors' dog, Sophia, too!





I hope you have a jester or

two or three in your life to keep

 you entertained!


Joining




Sarah
Sarah

The summer we married, my husband was in graduate school, and I was employed as a teacher. We took a portion of our savings that summer and purchased a sailboat. We christened our Catalina 22, “Hyacinths For The Soul” after Saadi’s poem. Our "Hyacinths" provided years of pleasure.

34 comments:

  1. Oh my, that faience menu! You have such wonderful treasures, but that one exceeds beyond wonderful, Sarah. I am intrigued by jesters and their historical significance relative to dance, but the closest thing to ownership for me would probably be the Williamsburg "Hotchpotch" characters on kitchen textiles.

    ReplyDelete
  2. No jesters live here, but from now on when I see one, I will think of you!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well now you have me thinking. Where is the jester I had? Better check the attic. I was wondering what you would do for letter J in your alpha series.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I don't have a jester, but I do have lots of harlequin fabric/patterns around here! :D What a delightful post. Jesters are a fun thing to collect.

    ReplyDelete
  5. The only jester in my house is the hubby! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a delightful post, Sarah. No, jesters in my house, unfortunately.

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a lovely collection of jesters.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sarah, I love the faience Jesters especially the one from Nevers I've never seen one like it either, what a treasure!
    I don't possess a single jester myself but will always think of you whenever I come across one in the future. Maybe I'll get lucky and find a Desves one someday?
    Maggie.

    ReplyDelete
  9. At some times I would also need a Jester ! Beautiful pictures !

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh Sarah, your French faience Jesters are wonderful, unfortunately I've never seen one. The menu jester is quiet the find. I'm in love with the French Valentine charters and pillows. No jesters reside here but I do enjoy a Christmas stocking with the beautiful jester style collar with bells. You have quite the collection Sarah. I do love Patience Brewster and will take a serious look at Miss Josie. Great post!

    ReplyDelete
  11. The French faience menu jester was quite the find, Sarah! I enjoyed seeing all your jesters, but especially your cross stitched pillows. You do lovely work! I have one jester, but he's put away right now until Christmas time. Thanks for sharing your fun collection!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Sarah, I've always loved jesters - your collection is awesome! Love the one you stitched and embellished the pillow with, and that French 'menu' is so beautiful. I'm familiar with English Toby jugs but didn't know the French also made them!

    Hope life is good dear - hugs, Mary

    ReplyDelete
  13. Love all the varieties of 'jester' photos ~ great post for J!

    Happy weekend coming to you,
    artmusedog and carol

    ReplyDelete
  14. I enjoyed this post. No Jesters here but they are quite charming!
    hugs,
    Linda

    ReplyDelete
  15. Dearest Sarah,
    Lovely photos and yes, having some Jesters in your life for keeping us entertained is a blessing.
    But in our home we have none to be found for decorative purpose.
    Sending you hugs,
    Mariette

    ReplyDelete
  16. After this lovely post, I'm sure I'll view Jesters in a new way! Great inspiration.
    Mary Alice

    ReplyDelete
  17. Sarah:
    I always love seeing your collections!

    -Alma, The Tablescaper

    ReplyDelete
  18. Oh Sarah, you have such a great eye for whimsy and wonderful! I too, am a huge Patience Brewster fan! J is for jester is total fun!
    Jenna

    ReplyDelete
  19. What a fun post! I don't think I have any jesters but I've always thought they were cute! The French faience menu is a treasure!

    ReplyDelete
  20. I loved this post!

    Now I will be looking for jesters everywhere.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Hi Sarah,
    its magical how you combine different things to a lovely post. All your yesters are adorable, the ceramics are really beautiful and your tablesetting is it, too. Thanks for sharing. :-)
    Best greetings, Joanna

    ReplyDelete
  22. I married a jester as did he. :-) Your Jacquot is tres darling.
    The View from the Top of the Ladder

    ReplyDelete
  23. How fun! No jesters but plenty of grandkids and grand-dogs to keep me plenty entertained. Thanks for a lovely visit via The Dedicated House.

    Kaye
    http://www.RosevilleCaliforniaJoys.com
    :)

    ReplyDelete
  24. I love the whimsy and jesters Sarah! The Toby puts a smile on my face! Wishing you a wonderful weekend :)

    ReplyDelete
  25. My husband is the only jester I have! But you have a fascinating collection! It is delightful as a theme, and what variety! The French menu is my favorite.

    ReplyDelete
  26. My husband is the only jester I have! But you have a fascinating collection! It is delightful as a theme, and what variety! The French menu is my favorite.

    ReplyDelete
  27. Jesters are so fun and I used to have some but not anymore. But since my son is growing up I may pick some up as we are doing our home and they would fit in perfectly.

    ReplyDelete
  28. The cross stitch pillows are adorable.
    Amalia
    xo

    ReplyDelete
  29. Your jester collection is adorable. They are so cute and whimsical. The cross stitch pillows are so special. I admire your talents Sarah. Happy Sunday. xo

    ReplyDelete
  30. Hi Sarah,

    I like the touches of blue. Thanks for sharing.

    Happy Blue Monday!

    ReplyDelete
  31. So much fun and I'm not jesting! lol! Sorry, couldn't resist. I don't have any jester ornaments, but a few jesters in my life. Thanks for sharing with SYC.
    hugs,
    Jann

    ReplyDelete
  32. my favorite rich colorful print..harlequin!

    ReplyDelete
  33. I love all your jesters, but my favorite is the one you spied at Susan's house!

    Just incredibly jester-ish!

    Thanks for linking to the letter J.

    A+

    ReplyDelete
  34. Happy Pink Saturday, Sarah. Look at me go. I and J in the same day. lol Never mind how long it took me to get here.

    I always notice your jesters when you share them. And, I am in love with the menu.♥ No jesters at home to entertain me, but my husband, my son and my grandson do quite the job amusing me when the three of them get going.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you to each of you who take the time to leave a comment. I read and appreciate each and every one and will respond to any questions. Your notes are the only way I know who has stopped in for a visit.