Thursday, October 22, 2020

Cast a Festive Spell Among Falling Leaves

I'm one who embraces tradition, but also one who likes 
a touch of whimsy and a little something unexpected.

Last week I joined a couple of Instagram friends to share 
our ideas for a non-traditional Halloween table.
I wanted a casual, but elegant mood, so I set an alfresco table
for dining out on the terrace under the stars.
Placesettings imbued with the rich colors of autumn and 
scented candles to fill the air with a hint of spice.

I chose to use a traditional black and orange color palette
and layered the table with beautiful linens, china, and crystal 
that would offer an unexpected touch of elegance.


Let's take a look at how it all came together.
Ruffled black and white Crown Linen Design placemats 
gave the stack a touch of whimsy. 
The Caspari Orange Floral dicut mats gave 
a touch of formality to transition into the beautiful china.
 Motthahedeh's Sacred Bird and Butterfly dinner plates offered both elegance and the perfect touch of rusty orange.
 Herend's Connect the Dots brought back in that whimsical feel.  


The exquisite MacKenzie-Childs
pumpkin topper was the nod to Halloween. 
It's shiny surface gave the look of fine china while it's polka dots
mimiced the golden dots on the rim of the plate.

I decided to remove the linen tablecloth and allowed the 
ruffled placemat to dance upon the texture of the table top.
The Courtly Check trimmed linens and vintage silver
brought in more of the elegance I wanted.

Crystal stems of amber cased glass were
a perfect additional detail along with a trio of 
simple white cachepots of potted plants. 
Scented votives filled the air with added ambience.

Above is a look at each table that my friends shared.  
These ladies are very talented stylists and ones to follow on Instagram.
Visit to see more of each table on their IG squares.
1 ~ Kim @home.on.a.hilltop
2 ~ Bonnie @bonniechasedesigns
3 ~ Suzanne @Suzannezinggstyle
4 ~ Lauren @lauren_lane_culinarian


So tell, me what you think?
Do you like to set a Halloween themed table,
or do you choose to set a mood with color and ambience?


Sarah
Sarah

The summer we married, my husband was in graduate school, and I was employed as a teacher. We took a portion of our savings that summer and purchased a sailboat. We christened our Catalina 22, “Hyacinths For The Soul” after Saadi’s poem. Our "Hyacinths" provided years of pleasure.

18 comments:

  1. I don't actually set a Halloween table anymore-although I did when I had littles around. I do like to set a Fall table though. Yours is perfect! The right blend of fall elegance. I hope you have a wonderful Thursday. xo Diana

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I still like to do both. Wish I could hostmy usual Halloween dinner!

      Delete
  2. Swoon Sarah! I adore your plate stack! There’s so much I love here starting with the ruffled black and white checks, diecut mat, flowers and dots. The MKC pumpkin is the crowning touch. Hope you’re enjoying some beautiful fall weather to match your table. ♥

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh Sarah, how I love that pumpkin! Also I smiled when I read your description of your place setting "dancing on the table," such a vivid and perfect description of your playful combo of patterns and colors. Your table is enchanting with a subtle nod to both Halloween playfun fun and the elegance you were striving for.
    Jenna

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sarah, this is so stunning! From the Crown Linen checked placemat to the diecut mat, to the crowning touch of the MC pumpkin, it is perfection! I love your elegant take on Halloween.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I like your elegant Halloween tablescape. Each part of your plate stack is beautiful. I also love how you described it as dancing on the table. The colorful textures and colors are stunning. The MK pumpkin is exquisite.
    I haven't done a Halloween themed tablescape before. I like your idea of setting the mood with color and ambience.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Such an elegant halloween table. Love the plate stack and that Mackenzie Child's pumpkin looks so pretty. Dancing on the table is the perfect description. All of your pretty touches make this pop. Of course I have set several Halloween tables. Happy weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sarah, you know I love this. Alfresco, under the stars sounds perfect for dining during quarantine. This is an over the top elegant setting. The china and the mats look amazing with the checks. Of course I love the fabulous pumpkin, icing on this setting. Enjoy your dining and happy weekend.......

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is certainly the most elegant take on Halloween I think I have ever seen! I have those Caspari mats, and never thought of using them for a Halloween table. So you have inspired me!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wish I could host a Halloween party since it is on a Saturday this year! I love this! Alfresco is my favorite way to dine for the two of us. Have a wonderful weekend Sarah.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Sarah, your table is beautiful. I loved it so much that I just ordered the black and white placemats. Will be perfect for my Christmas kitchen table. You have such a beautiful collection of china and they always look so gorgeous when you stack the different patterns. I just adore those little pumpkins on wheels. The Cottage Witch is self quaranteening this year so I am not doing Halloween at all but your's sure makes me wish a little bit that I had..Stay well..xxoJudy

    ReplyDelete
  11. Dearest Sarah,
    You certainly managed to set an elegant Halloween al fresco dinner table!
    Hugs,
    Mariette

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love it, Sarah. It's very elegant but it's also fun. That pumpkin -- wow! That's a hit. Usually it's just Rick and me for Halloween chili so our table is pretty casual but fun. This year, who knows?

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love color and ambiance, but specially yor table which is exquisite, from the gorgeous stack of plates, to the lovely linen and flatware and to top this beauty the amazing MCH pumpkins. This creation for Fall is over the top dear friend !
    Enjoy your month of Thankfulness.
    Fabby

    ReplyDelete

Thank you to each of you who take the time to leave a comment. I read and appreciate each and every one and will respond to any questions. Your notes are the only way I know who has stopped in for a visit.