Tuesday, November 7, 2023

A Tribute to Tom Turkey

Welcome!
Today's post is a tribute to the turkey, 
where you'll see a rafter of turkeys 
strutting across my table.  
Thanksgiving Tablescape Blog Hop 
This hop includes 17 tabletop stylists 
organized by our talented friend 
A list with links of all sharing in this 
hop is at the end of this post.

I've been a John Derian fan for decades and 
always shop his NYC Soho shops when I'm in NYC.
Did you shop his Thanksgiving Themed Collection for Target?

When I saw this image from the Target promotion, I fell down the John Derian Thanksgiving Collection Rabbit Hole.

Seriously, the three dimensional turkey 
stole my heart, and the quilted throw is cozy.

This handsome guy is exquisitely beaded, 
plump, and full of personality.

The cylindrical turkey pillow was equally as intriguing to me.
Though it doesn't have the overall beading, the art of 
the design is rendered in a unique style and
fits right in on the chase upstairs.

I also added this square turkey pillow as well.  
One could say I went full turkey!

But I digress!  
This post is about tablescapes.

Yes, the beautiful Toms staring on each place setting 
are also from the John Derian Collection.

They came in a set of four, each stoneware plate a 
different colorful Tom Turkey strutting its tail feathers.

I layered the 9" salads atop pairs of 
turkey plates in my dish stash.
This one is vintage Maruta Ware 
made in Japan c1930-1950.

This one is His Majesty by Johnson Bros, England.
This set was a recent gift from a very thoughtful IG friend.
I'm rather taken with the exquisite borders 
on these transfer ware turkey plates.

I stacked them on chargers bought at Williams Sonoma years ago.  
If interested, The Autumn Plaid chargers are still available.
The rust placemats are from Threshold @ Target, new this season.
You can see more of my turkey plates here.

These fall plaid napkins have been in my linen drawer for decades. 
I love the mix of muted fall tones, and the detail of
the running stitches appeals to my stitcher's heart.

Mini cobs of Indian Corn offer interesting
textures and added touches of fall color.

The napkin rings are antique ivory with sterling initials.
Each was found at various French brocantes on our travels.

The mother of pearl flatware is American made by 
Hennegen Bates and Co. Baltimore, MD.
The company was a jeweler and silversmith 1857-1955.

Denby stems in Mirage Brown were 
wedding gifts from our wedding registry.
You see them on our table often.

The charming turkey placard holders are stamped metal, and you guessed it, part of the John Derian Thanksgiving Collection
They came four to a set, each one different.

These little guys are favorites, right 
up there with the beaded turkey.

The table runner is 50/50 cotton/linen, 
made in India for the John Derian collection.  
It is black line drawings with the occasional colored 
mushroom, flower, and seasonal vegetable.

I layered it atop my favorite linen runner from 
Arte Italica Crown Linen Designs.

The flower containers are a recent thrift store find.
They are small tulipieres, and each has a small chip.
 That didn't bother me; I consider it the patina of time, 
not noticeable when filled with flowers. 

The tulipieres have a series of small holes around the edges of
 two levels in addition to the center opening at the top. 
These containers are perfect for a variety of fall flowers,
and make it easy peasy to arrange a simple centerpiece.

Let's talk about the rafter of turkeys down the center of the table 
that I mixed with small pumpkins tied with fall ribbons.

My small collection of vintage paper maché turkeys 
were picked up here and there when I was lucky 
enough to find them for a reasonable price. 

Most were made in Japan in the 1950s, 
and many were candy boxes.

This vintage brass Tom Turkey is a bank.

More turkeys, pumpkins, and flowers fill the adjacent buffet.
The big wooden Tom Turkey has lived here since the 1980s, a gift delivered to my classroom when I was teaching first grade.
You can imagine the smiles this guy generated with six year olds.

Amber glass is so appealing to me and perfect for autumn.
The amber glass turkey pieces were from Williams Sonoma many years ago.  The amber jar for flowers was a recent find.

This paper maché turkey sits atop a box on spring coil legs.
It is unmarked, and I know nothing of its history 
other than it has been in my collection for many years.
The green bamboo flatware is new from Vivro Veronika.

If you are still with me, I hope you enjoyed this photo 
rich post honoring Tom Turkeys and perhaps 
are inspired to pay tribute the "Man of the Season!"
 I want to personally thank John Derian for his wonderful Thanksgiving collaboration with Target this year.
If you travel to New York City, Miz Merri Mac and I highly recommend a visit to the shops of John Derian, NYC.
He is an American decoupage artist and designer known for his amazing mix of natural oddities, antiques, and eccentric style.
Click here for a video of John's work and his NYC studio.

You won't be disappointed with this talented group!

Hyacinths for the Soul - A Tribute to Tom Turkey  (You Are Here)
My Thrift Store Addiction - Friendsgiving Charcuterie and Wine Buffet
Me and My Captain - Thankful, Grateful
The Painted Apron - Eat, Drink & Be Thankful
The Cat's Whiskerz - Giving Thanks Wherever You Are
Belle Bleu Interiors - Gather with a Grateful Heart
From My Carolina Home - Turkey Time Tablescape
Corner of Plaid and Paisley - Oh, So Thankful
The Little Yellow Corner Store - A Simple Fruit and Greenery Tablescape


Happy Thanksgiving




Sarah
Sarah

The summer we married, my husband was in graduate school, and I was employed as a teacher. We took a portion of our savings that summer and purchased a sailboat. We christened our Catalina 22, “Hyacinths For The Soul” after Saadi’s poem. Our "Hyacinths" provided years of pleasure.

24 comments:

  1. Sarah, I would definitely agree. His collection is unique and with exquisite artistry. I love the collection of pillows that seem to reflect the same bit of whimsy from the salad plates. Thank you for introducing me to his collection. I will need to explore it at Target. Your special find of the one-of-a-kind vases at the thrift store was a discovered treasure. They are stunning and is the perfect holder of flowers for Fall or any other time of the year. I really enjoyed your collection of turkeys of all sorts. They make such lovely groupings. Enjoy your Thanksgiving holiday and your beautiful setting. I am sure your guests will be thrilled.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, I guess I'm headed to Target this week! Oh my -- those are fabulous. That big turkey especially, but everything! The table is just beautiful. I smiled with "His Majesty." That's my TG china, too -- and I remember the day my mom, dad and I went to Canada to buy her set. I suspect they did that because it might have been less expensive there -- I think I was probably only about seven or eight at the time and it seemed a long way to go for dishes. Little did I know that in another decade or so, I would go buy my first set of dishes -- Royal Doulton's Royal Gold -- in England! A splendid table, Sarah, and for me, some fun memories!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sarah, your collection of John Derian’s offerings is amazing. The 3-D beaded turkey is so striking as is the quilt. The JD salad plates are beautiful stacked atop the turkey plates and WS plaid chargers. The rafter of turkeys, thrifted vases, amber jars are lovely stand alones but are exquisite when placed atop your curated table. I say this over and over, your attention to detail is perfect and I love your style. Wishing you a blessed Thanksgiving season!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sarah your table is lovely. I will have to get “out” more as the John Derian collection is stunning and the pieces are perfect for your Thanksgiving table. I never knew about him. I also enjoy when a thrifted item becomes a part of the celebration as it is a double pleasure to use such pieces. I wish you a Blessed Thanksgiving along with your perfectly appointed Autumnal Table.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love your collection of Tom Turkeys! And how in the world did I miss the John Derian collaboration with Target? I'm always the last to know! My favorite thing is the table runner with the line drawings and occasional colored element. It reminds of something from Daphne's Diary, from one of their coloring pages. I love your recent purchases as well as your pretty vintage things. Your stemware from your wedding registry is so pretty! Your tulipieres are a lucky find: they're fabulous! I hope you have a Happy Thanksgiving, Sweet Friend!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am loving all your Tom turkeys! It’s so nice to see traditional Thanksgiving table settings! Such colorful turkey plates! I love it all! Fun to blog hop with you today!
    Hugs, Karin

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sarah, I'm 60 miles from a Target so I thoroughly enjoyed vicariously falling down the JD rabbit hole with you--that turkey is fabulous, as is your entire table setting! Blessings, Cecilia @ My Thrift Store Addiction

    ReplyDelete
  8. Such a wide variety of turkeys past and present. I do love a good collection. Your table is so pretty and inviting. Love the sideboard too.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh Sarah, where can I begin, this is a turkey celebration!!! First of all I love your big stuffed Tom turkey, he is fabulous! And all the turkey pillows, so cute! I haven't heard on John Derrian, he has quite a talent~ love the plates, they look wonderful paired with the plaid plates, brown stemware and pearl flatware. Your flower arrangements are beautiful and I love all the little turkeys everywhere! The sideboard looks very festive and how special to have the memory that gifted turkey is when you taught first grade. It's all fabulous, festive and full of blessings!
    Jenna

    ReplyDelete
  10. Sarah, I totally agree with you, John Derian’s collections are so lovely. the 3D turkey pillow is gorgeous. Unfortunately Target is sold out of the turkey plates. What great finds in those lovely tulipieres, they look so pretty with your florals. You always have the best collections. Love how your sideboard looks, so festive and perfect for Thanksgiving. How special is your tom turkey gifted. A beautiful piece with precious memories. Love the amber turkey, so perfect for fall. A beautiful table with lovely treasures. Always a pleasure hopping along with you.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Sarah, I have not heard of John Derain, but I am definitely going to check his work out. Your have so many pretties to admire. That beaded turkey is a showstopper! Your entire tablescape and buffet are gorgeous set for Thanksgiving. You have done a wonderful job paying tribute to Tom the Turkey! I hope you have a blessed and happy Thanksgiving! Shannon@Belle Bleu Interiors

    ReplyDelete
  12. Swoon Sarah…what a feast for the eyes and wonderful rafter of turkeys you have! I missed the John Derian pillows at Target, the beaded 3-D one is outstanding! What a gorgeous, colorful table too. The plaid WS chargers frame and marry the turkey salad plates beautifully and what adorable place card holders…I missed those too! Your tulipieres are stunning with your flowers, what a find they were. Love your buffet ready for Thanksgiving with your turkeys and pumpkin…love your big wooden “Tom”! As always, it’s a treat to have a virtual seat at your table. Wishing you a wonderful Thanksgiving season! 🦃🧡

    ReplyDelete
  13. What an incredibly fabulous post, sharing the latest John Derian collection with Target! Before we get to that, let me just say how I continually am fascinated with your many collections. The Maruta Ware china is also beautiful as a stand alone set. A collection of papier mache turkeys too? Wow! And still in excellent display condition. I love your use of your wedding registry crystal and vintage napkins too. Your latest thrift store finds are wonderful, and your floral arrangements make a beautiful table centerpiece.
    This JD collection is one of the better collaborations I've seen with Target, and I love how they can convince the designers to share their talents for wide-scale availability. Each and every item you've picked up is gorgeous alone, but the impact of the whole is just stunning, Sarah. I really enjoyed the video too. He remains humble enough to know that this successful endeavor could collapse, although I don't think it's going away in the foreseeable future, at all.
    Sarah, thank you for bringing your unique collections and these latest acquisitions to the blog hop. Totally inspiring, there's something for everyone!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Sarah, what a lovely profusion of fall colors on your table! The brown goblets complement the livelier colors and tie in with the transferware edge patterns. The parade of turkeys are wonderfully unique. It would be so fun to wander around your dining room to explore the details of each! The arrangements of fresh flowers are full and gorgeous. And those tulipieres! I love their green color and interesting shape, so much more attractive than the usual tall cylindrical ones I've seen. So fun hopping with you. Have a very Happy Thanksgiving.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Sarah, I fell in love with this John Derian collection when I saw it at Target. Unfortunately all of my stores were left with just a few pieces soon after it went out - people snapped it up. I can see why, it looks lovely on your table. You have quite the collection of turkeys, all in such beautiful settings!! I hope you have a very happy Thanksgiving at

    ReplyDelete
  16. Your table is so welcoming with lots of 'eye candy'! The flowers are lovely, the turkeys are so colorful and I would love to join you for dinner. Amazing collection - Where do you store all of this decor?

    ReplyDelete
  17. that's a really nice post, especially the mushrooms. we are going to Santa Fe for Thanksgiving, us, Mary and Bill, Bill's sis and BIL, her two sons, and our two, 3 dogs. so I won't decorate for T day, but I will decorate for Christmas ,

    ReplyDelete
  18. Sarah, I had to come back for a second look at your creativity with the John Derian collection. You have the nicest collections of anyone I know, and I've enjoyed looking at all the turkeys. As always, you've created a lovely Fall tablescape. Have a wonderful Thanksgiving!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Sarah, I am swooning over your both your turkeys and the gorgeous colours of your table. I have never heard of John Derian, but it is collections like this that make me sad that Target left Canada so soon after they arrived :( Your plate stack is especially gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Sarah, what a great collection of turkeys you have. The John Derian workmanship and imagination is amazing. We have just had a new Target open in town. I haven't been there yet and, hopefully, there will be something left of his when I go. Things that wonderful go pretty quickly. All of your tablescapes are wonderful. I have a few pieces that are the same as some of yours. Since we have already had our family celebration, maybe I will put some out when hubby and I have ours. It seems like I never have enough of one pattern to use for everyone..Happy Holidays..xxoJudy

    ReplyDelete
  21. Sarah, I came back to make sure my comment went through and it didn't. Let me try again.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Your heartfelt tribute to Tom Turkey is truly touching. It's wonderful to see the appreciation for the often unsung heroes of our festivities. Your words capture the spirit of gratitude and celebration that makes this season special.
    promocodehq

    ReplyDelete
  23. Sarah, I love love LOVE your Tom Turkey tribute!!! So many wonderful turkeys... I had not seen Mr. Derien's turkeys at Target but I haven't been there much this fall. I WISH I had seen the beaded turkey, though. I would have popped him into my basket immediately. :) Thank you for sharing at Share Your Style a couple of weeks ago! I am happy to feature your post even if we are past Thanksgiving at this week's SYS #410 for you. <3

    Happy holidays and enjoy all your lovely birds! I have a wood one I picked up last year at Buc-Ees gas station/gift shop here in Denton, Texas. He is a lovely addition to my goodies!
    Hugs,
    Barb :)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you to each of you who take the time to leave a comment. I read and appreciate each and every one and will respond to any questions. Your notes are the only way I know who has stopped in for a visit.